By Kristen Cooper
If a traditional wedding cake isn’t on your wish list, then I’m excited to share with you the wonder of modern wedding cake design. Traditionally, your wedding cake would take a cue from your dress and be predominantly white. Thanks to incredible cake designers you can now include your wedding cake as an integral feature of your wedding theme. Prepare yourself now for some serious cake inspiration!
Botanicals: Understated and Earthy
Why not take a cue from Pantone’s Colour of the Year, Greenery, and incorporate lush botanicals into your cake design? The colour green represents your love of nature and signifies growth, conciliation and generosity. Can you think of more beautiful sentiments than these to embrace at your wedding?
- Australian native flowers such as grevillea, banksia, kangaroo paw and waratah for rich colour
- Tendrils arranged so they cascade from the top of the cake
- A ring of lush green eucalyptus leaves around each tier
Hand painted: Detailed and Delicate
Hand painting can turn your wedding cake into an absolute work of art. What makes a hand painted wedding cake so special is how well it can be personalised. It’s the ideal way to express something special about you, as a couple.
- A watercolour effect painted onto the icing, which looks particularly gorgeous in muted, pastel tones.
- Florals creeping around and up the cake for wild romance. Tailor it for a garden wedding or a complete forest affair.
Stone: Sculptured and Sophisticated
Representations of stone are ruling the wedding cake scene for those favouring classy design. Keep it to all neutrals or add pops of jewel tones and metallics for some shine. Your cake will be remembered for years to come.
- Marbled icing is clean and stunning, with grey and white as a classic choice. Alternatively opt for cream, moving into a hint of metallics with rose gold or yellow gold.
- Sugar geodes in icy silvers or rich jewel tones are the height of sophistication over a neutral cake.
Team your cake with marble, concrete or stone décor, softened by greenery.
Gilded: Elegant and Exotic
If you’re a glamour girl at heart, a gilded wedding cake will be the cake of your dreams. Pare the gold back with white or cream for an antique feel. Alternatively, team the gilded garnishes with rich colours for an exotic aesthetic. The key to this cake is in the incredible detail.
- Gilded leaves
- Sugar netting
- Gold beading
- Gold flecks
- Gold flourishes
Naked: Informal and Intimate
Trendy naked cakes cut down on the sweetness and let the cake speak for itself. Your guests will know what they’re eating too! Traditional sponge is a favourite, but red velvet looks just stunning and would be my choice for a naked cake.
- A layered cake with no icing or just a sheer layer of icing around it. Icing should only be between the layers and on top.
- Add small fresh flowers to soften the look.
Every cake designer has their own style. So, it’s important to ensure your cake designer’s style will complement your ideal design.
Feeling the spark of wedding planning excitement? Find some more gorgeous inspiration check out our Cake Vendors Here